Here's a d20 table with twenty new Magical Mishaps for your OSR game of choice, wether is Old-School Essentials, Labyrinth Lord, Sword & Wizardry, or any other clone of OE, B/X, or BECMI Dungeons and Dragons.
The full table will include 100 results, to complement the original table from Wondrous Weavings Warped and Weird, totaling 200 different effects!
They are, in turn, a functional part of the whole alternate arcane magic system detailed in Wondrous Weavings Warped and Weird, which empowers the the players of magic users to break the rules of magic, if they are willing to take some risk....
These mishaps have effects that are not "Spell range is reduced by 10%". Who needs these? I don't. I want actual consequences and the possibility to create fun, interesting, challenging situations that push the game and the story on.
Hope you'll like them!
d20 Magical Mishaps
Roll a d20. If the listed effect affects the target, and the intended spell didn't target a creature, the effect is applied to the caster.
- A decorated stone fountain appears next to the target, with brilliant water spouting. A character drinking from the fountain rerolls their ability scores. The fountain has a 2-in-6 chance of disappearing after use.
- The spell creates a magic mouth on the nearest wall. It can identify magic item properties by tasting them, but wants to be fed fresh fruit for its services.
- An earthquake shakes the ground in a 1d6 mile radius. Unstable buildings and structures (including dungeon sections) have a 3-in-6 chance of collapsing; mechanical room traps hidden in walls, floors etc. have a 3-in-6 chance of getting damaged and stop working.
- A black disk covers the sun for 2d6 days. For the duration, chaotic monsters gain +1 attack rolls and saves.
- A tombstone appears next to the caster and to each of their allies, with their names on it. They suffer -2 to all their saves while in sight of their tombstone.
- The caster vomits a stream of 1d4 x 5,000 copper pieces, equivalent to a breath attack (a cone, 30’ long, 1’ wide at the mouth, 30’ wide at the far end). All caught in the area suffer 1d8 damage (save versus breath for half). The caster may target the breath in the direction they prefer.
- All creatures capable of speech within 10’ of the target reveal their best kept secret.
- The spell summons a tyrannosaurus rex 2d6’ from the target. Roll for random reaction.
- A 1’ long, spiraling horn grows on the target’s forehead. It has a continual light spell on it, which the target can switch on and off.
- The spell creates 1d4+1 killer bees telepathically linked to the caster and obeying their mental commands.
- The caster’s eyes become mirrors. They are now immune to all gaze effects and abilities.
- Stone statues appear next to every creature within 50’ of the target, duplicating their aspect.
- The spell summons 2d6+20 goats 1d6’ from the target (herd animal, small; 1 HD). Roll 1d4 every round. 1: flee immediately. 2-4: stampede in a random direction (roll 1d12 and read it like a clock).
- All metal weapons and shields within 50’ of the caster are pulled into a magic vortex, forming an anthropomorphic iron living statue which obeys the caster’s orders. After 2d4 rounds, or if killed, the statue crumbles in a pile of all the weapons that made it (intact).
- The caster’s INT and STR scores are swapped for 1d6 days.
- The caster and all creatures within 100’ float 3’ up into the air for 1d6 turns as per the levitate spell, except they can’t mentally direct vertical movement.
- All creatures of comparable size within 100’ of the target become illusory copies of the target.
- All footwear within 10’ of the target are magically glued to the ground for 24 hours.
- All the caster’s prepared spells leave their mind and transfer their energy into the nearest non-magic sword, turning it into a sentient sword. The sword’s INT is equal to 6 + the number of spells drained from the caster’s mind (up to 12).
- All non-magic melee weapons within 100’ of the target become succulent roasted gigots, with the same size of the original item.